Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: A Brief Review

Okay, so since my blog is all about me and my attempts to write a book, however long that may take, I thought it might be good to document some of the books I’ve been reading that may influence me later on.


I finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies about a week ago. I bought it in January, but alas, I was too busy finishing university to get to it until now.

While it certainly dragged at parts, I would say that the book was overall an enjoyable one. It took me a couple of weeks to get into it, but once I got into it, I read the majority of the book in a couple of days. And to be honest, the parts that dragged for me were the parts that seemed largely unedited by zombies and katanas.

The book wasn’t actually as much about zombies as I had expected. It was more as though the writer, Seth Grahame-Smith, had taken the original Jane Austen and turned it more into an action/adventure story, coupled with romance. The zombies did not often venture into the body of the story, although the fact that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy were both famed zombie slayers did play a rather interesting role in the novel.

Along with zombies, I was pleasantly surprised to see ninjas introduced into the book as well. While they certainly did not hold a candle to the extreme skill of katana-wielding, bloodthirsty Elizabeth and the swordbearing Mr. Darcy, they certainly added to the story’s entertainment, if not plot. The occasional presence of rather descriptive gore was an interesting add in as well.

I would say, overall, that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a lighthearted, fun read. If you are looking for deep literary merit though, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Currently, I am reading Hero by Perry Moore because of the highly positive reviews I have read about it. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment